CANCER
DIARY 2013
Thu 3 Jan
Water-soluble
enema
I arrived
at the Radiology Dept at St Thomas’s with trepidation, as I used to work there
and was afraid of bumping into people I knew. There was someone there, in
reception that I recognised – SG, one of the managers, who I used to like a
lot, but I didn’t want to talk, so I laid low under my wig, and hovered behind
R.
I was
also nervous about the procedure, fearing it would be really painful, as
nothing has been in or out of my arse since the surgery, in September. In
the event, it was a breeze: I didn’t have to prepare beforehand in any way,
except to put on a robe. The tube they put in my anus was very thin, and
I couldn’t really feel the water and air going in at all. They took some
x-rays while I lay on my side, then on my back, and that was it. The
radiologist said the x-rays looked good – no leaks! They have to be
checked by the consultant, Mr G I presume. I had to waddle to the toilet
clutching a mat under my bum, in case anything leaked out. Not very
dignified. On the toilet, some water gushed out.
Later, in
Starbucks with R, I felt kind of uncomfortable, and when I got home and sat on
the loo again, some actual poo came out! It was very
satisfying, but made me wonder if my colon is being damaged by having old poo
stuck in it for four months – won’t it give me colon cancer!? I think the
pains in my rectal area have been a lot less since the poo came out. I’ll
be SO glad when I can finally be connected up and do a proper poo. I
wonder if it will hurt ...
Wed 9 Jan
Dr W’s
clinic
They let
me come to clinic again early, to investigate the lump – this replaces the
appointment I had for 24 Jan, so I won’t get seen again until March, after
another CT. I saw C, the Registrar, again. She felt my abdomen, and
couldn’t feel the lump! I had a feel too, and couldn’t feel it
either. I was so relieved. She even did a vaginal exam and said it
seemed fine too. Phew. She also said my Ca125 was down to 10!
I had been afraid to ask about it, so it was a huge relief. I asked her
if I could consider myself to be in remission and she said yes!
I asked
her if I had been referred to the Menopause clinic and for a DXA scan, as M had
said she would ask, but it seems both are out of the question: she thinks the
Menopause clinic (run by Miss R) is only for ‘early menopause’, and Dr M has
vetoed the DXA because it’s too expensive! It seems they have no interest
in my future quality of life now that the chemo and surgery is over. C
said I could ask my GP if they would pay for a DXA scan and said she would make
some more enquiries about the menopause clinic, and I could ask the GP about
that too. I also moaned about waiting for the reversal, and she said she
would tactfully chase Mr G.
Dr C’s
clinic letter:
(Dated
12.2.13)
I
reviewed Miss T as an addition to the clinic today. She recently felt a
mass in her right iliac fossa and was examined by Dr D.
Review of
her latest CT scan showed no obvious mass. I am pleased to report that
her recent Ca125 was normal (10 in December. She remains well with her
energy improving.
On
examination there is no palpable mass in her right iliac fossa. On
vaginal examination today there are no detectable abnormalities.
Miss T’s weight is stable. She has noted stiffness affecting both her hands in the morning, which she attributes to a lack of oestrogen. She remains keen to have HRT and again I repeated that we would not usually recommend this in the context of ovarian carcinoma, but at the request of our CNS, I will ask if Prof R would consider seeing her in the menopause clinic at Guy’s to discuss these concerns with her.
She is
also anxiously awaiting reversal of her stoma under the care of Mr G and would
be very grateful if a date could be set for this.
For our part we plan to review her again with a CT scan in March this year. Her Ca125, measured today, was 9 (yippee!). All her other blood tests were satisfactory.
Thu 10
Jan
I phoned
the Stoma Clinic receptionist and asked if she knew how long I would have to
wait for the reversal. She said I would have to wait until my appointment
on the 30th, and ask then. I said I felt like waiting for the 30th
was just dead time. I don’t even have a date for the surgery yet. I
thought the 30th was supposed to be just to keep me ‘in the loop’ with the
stoma nurses in case the enema test was bad news. I said the bag was affecting
my quality of life and I might only have a couple of years of life left. She
said she would email Mr G.
R pointed
out that something could go wrong to prevent the reversal while I’m waiting, so
the sooner it’s done the better. He thinks I should write directly to Mr
G, but I don’t want to in case I bug him - I would rather nag his subordinates.
Fri 18
Jan
I’m going
insane waiting for the reversal. Tried phoning Mr G’s secretary today,
then M, but got nowhere. Started working on a letter to Mr G, but I won’t
send it:
Dear Mr G
I am
writing to ask if you can give me an estimate of when I will be able to have my
ileostomy reversed. When I spoke to MN on the phone on 24th
January, she said you would do it as soon as possible, depending on your
schedule. I would really appreciate it if you could give me a rough idea
of what this means, even if it is just to say whether we are talking about
days, weeks or (hopefully not) months.
As you have probably gathered, I am desperate to get rid of the stoma, partly because I am worried that if too much time goes by, something might happen (e.g. a return of the cancer) to prevent the reversal being done.
There are
also practical issues, for example, my HR department is asking when I can go
back to work.
The
ileostomy prevents me from eating an optimum immune system
boosting/anti-inflammatory diet. It also prevents me from going to the gym
or running or even doing yoga at home, and this is detrimental to my mental and
physical health as not only does it mean I am no longer fit, but I am unable to
use physical exercise to reduce help reduce stress. I feel these factors
must reduce my chances of preventing a rapid recurrence and surviving the
cancer.
For
information: the contrast enema was done on 3rd January, and it
showed no leaks or problems. My last chemo was nearly 10 weeks ago, on 12th
November 2012.
Just as I
was thinking of actually sending the letter, I got a phone call from
Appointments, to say my reversal will be on Friday 8th
February! Yay!!
Thu 31
Jan
Pre-op
assessment clinic
This was
in Gassiot House, at STH. They have the place set up like an airport,
with lots of waiting around and waiting for your name to come up on big
screens. I was in there for four and a half hours, answering medical
questionnaires, ‘swabs and obs’ (MRSA swabs, blood pressure and pulse, height
and weight, and an ECG, which only takes a minute), giving consent and bloods,
but mostly reading my book: ‘Reincarnation – A Critical Examination’. I
had some quality time with a colorectal nurse (Marie something) who gave me
actual information about colorectal issues. She asked if I had seen Mr G
on the ward, and I said no, only for a few minutes during a stoma clinic, so
she called Mr G on her mobile, right there, and made an appointment for me to
come and see him in clinic next Wednesday, to ask questions. When I said,
“I only need to ask one quick question,” She said, “You’re entitled to ask
questions – you don’t have to justify yourself.” What I want to ask is: can he
fix all the bulging and sagging, and exactly how much rectum/colon did he
remove. She told me I wouldn’t have to wear ‘nappies’ after the op, which
is reassuring, but she said it is a major op, and I will be wiped out
afterwards. She said the scar is usually horizontal and will have
puckered ends, but they should flatten out over time (hm). She said, I won’t
need an epidural, and won’t need to have a central line in my neck, unless
there is problem putting one in my arm. She said I could ‘carb up’ before
the op with Complan, instead of Fortisip and I can wash normally – no need for
the yukky disinfectant wipes. Also, I will only have to wear the surgical
socks and have blood thinners while I’m in hospital (three to five days).
This is much better than last time! I have to stay in hospital while they
make sure I can poo properly. I have to start sitting up and walking
around asap after the surgery, and I have to do deep breaths and coughs to make
sure I don’t get a chest infection and I have to have enough pain killer so
that coughing doesn’t hurt.
Wed 6 Feb
Mr G
clinic
Took two
diagrams to Mr G’s clinic: a diagram of the rectum and a photo of my stomach
with stoma and bulgy places displayed. He marked on the diagram how much
rectum had been removed – basically all of it, including the sigmoid
colon. My descending colon is stapled directly onto the rectal stump,
like a drainpipe. He reiterated the warning about it taking two years for
bowel habits to normalise. On the photo of my abdomen, he retracted what
he said before about tidying up any hernias, saying he would have a look at the
bulge in my right groin in eight weeks, when I see him again in clinic.
He said he couldn’t fix a hernia during the reversal because the reversal is a
‘dirty’ operation and he wouldn’t want an infection to get in the mesh used in
the hernia repair. He said the bulge under the stoma and the wonky bellybutton
would have to be fixed by a plastic surgeon (if the cancer doesn’t come
back). I asked him why he used metal staples and he said that’s what they
always do. He said again that they can come away when I poo - really!?
Mr G’s
clinic letter
7.2.13
I met up
with this lady prior to the reversal of her ileostomy. She raised some
concerns about the asymmetry of her abdomen and a lump in the right groin.
On
examination she does have asymmetry to the anterior abdominal wall and possibly
a right inguinal hernia. I have explained that at this stage the priority
is to restore her bowel continuity and these other issues can be dealt with
after this.
I have
been over the risks of surgery with her today and have explained that it may
take anything up to two years for her bowel function to reach its best.
Tue 5
Feb?
Visit to
GP
Dr C
signed a new sick note up to 1 April 2013. I asked him about possible
treatments for peripheral neuropathy, which seem to be limited to taking
antidepressants. I asked him about taking L-acetyl carnitine for it,
which I’d read about online. He didn’t seem impressed and said he
wouldn’t recommend ordering anything online.
He agreed to refer me for a DXA scan. I also asked about aches and stiffness, and he said I could have blood test (for rheumatoid arthritis I presume??). Not sure what I am supposed to do about arranging this blood test. Reception don’t know - have to ask him again, next time.
Fri 8 Feb
Reversal
R and I
got to the Admissions Lounge at 11:40. The wait was a lot shorter than last
time and I went in for the operation at about 1.30 I think. I saw Mr G
again just before and asked him if he could make the scar horizontal, as maybe
it would help lift up the wonky, bulgy bits. He said he would have to
decide when he did the op (in the event, he did make it horizontal J).
Woke up
from the op not long after, and reassured myself that the bag was gone. I
thought I would have been delirious with joy, but I felt strangely
ordinary. Had a nice surprise of a private en-suite room, with a view
onto the Thames and Houses of Parliament. I was in there until Sunday at
midday, when they moved a very sick Muslim lady in there (she died that
night).
I was moved to a bay with four beds in it. I had the space vacated by the Muslim lady. There were two patients with acrelasia, which means you can’t swallow properly and food comes back up. The younger woman, C, was at an early stage, but the other lady, T, had suffered with it for 21 years, ever since she was pregnant with her son, and she was the most complex patient with the disease. She was very strong and positive and very stoical about having to transport a bag of ‘feed’ around in a rucksack, which feeds into her side through a permanent plastic tube. There was another patient, J, who had had most of her pancreas, her gall bladder and part of her stomach removed, and now had a blockage due to surgical adhesions. Her surgeon had a bit of a dilemma, as she needed an operation, but it was a very dangerous one to do. I didn’t really bond with them, as I’m not their type, but they were nice enough. The younger woman, G, seemed a bit like a big baby to me, and a bit manipulative, and after she was discharged, T and J and the nurses all swapped stories of her strange behaviour. It sounded like she was schizophrenic maybe. She’d done things like sit beside T or J’s bed during the night, while they were asleep, and she told conflicting dramatic stories to different people about her life. Her bed was filled by A, who had a growth on her bowel, which she went in to theatre to have removed on Monday.
I was moved to a bay with four beds in it. I had the space vacated by the Muslim lady. There were two patients with acrelasia, which means you can’t swallow properly and food comes back up. The younger woman, C, was at an early stage, but the other lady, T, had suffered with it for 21 years, ever since she was pregnant with her son, and she was the most complex patient with the disease. She was very strong and positive and very stoical about having to transport a bag of ‘feed’ around in a rucksack, which feeds into her side through a permanent plastic tube. There was another patient, J, who had had most of her pancreas, her gall bladder and part of her stomach removed, and now had a blockage due to surgical adhesions. Her surgeon had a bit of a dilemma, as she needed an operation, but it was a very dangerous one to do. I didn’t really bond with them, as I’m not their type, but they were nice enough. The younger woman, G, seemed a bit like a big baby to me, and a bit manipulative, and after she was discharged, T and J and the nurses all swapped stories of her strange behaviour. It sounded like she was schizophrenic maybe. She’d done things like sit beside T or J’s bed during the night, while they were asleep, and she told conflicting dramatic stories to different people about her life. Her bed was filled by A, who had a growth on her bowel, which she went in to theatre to have removed on Monday.
I was
really tired today, could hardly keep my eyes open for five minutes, and every
time I tried to read, I would fall asleep. I hadn’t done a poo for three
days, and was beginning to feel very bloated and uncomfortable, as well as
slightly sick. At 3.30 on Monday morning I woke up with spasmodic,
burning pain in my anus, which kept me running to the loo for the rest of the
night with no result, and Iwas afraid that I had a leak. I had a
Movicol last night, which didn’t seem to work, but at lunchtime I had an apple
(peeled) and - bingo – two rounds of projectile diarrhoea! I felt 100%
better afterwards, although the burning pains did creep back a bit, later on.
Sitting
here now, waiting for night, bored, not very comfortable with my roomies.
I’m really glad I’m going home tomorrow. A dietician told me that I
should keep up the ileostomy diet for about a month, then I can ease fibre back
in. The colorectal specialist nurse, #, also came in for a chat, and
basically repeated what Mr G said about things taking a long time to settle and
that I would have good days and bad days. Hm, I was hoping for just good
ones after my successful poo today.
I had a
chat with an older woman, who has had her rectum removed because of bowel
cancer. She doesn’t know yet how much the surgeon removed. She told
me that she’d had a flood of completely uncontrollable diarrhoea, while sitting
in the ward, with no warning whatsoever! I really empathised with her, as
it reminded me of my humiliating bag leak on the gynae ward. The poor
woman was having to wear incontinence pants and her confidence must be shot to
bits. How unlucky to have that experience right at the beginning,
worrying too, that it could happen with no warning. I really hope it
doesn’t happen to me.
Ready to
go on Tuesday morning, but I had to wait until R could come and get me after
work, as there is a lot to carry. He couldn’t make it until 8pm, so I had
to wait around on a bench for two hours after they gave my bed to a new
patient. We got the bus back to Brixton without any mishaps. I
don’t need to inject any Klexane this time, thankfully, and only have to wear
the socks if I’m inactive, and only for a week (in the event, I didn’t wear them
at all). The scar healed very fast, and I didn’t have to put the dressing back
on, after taking it off in hospital because it itched.
Mon 18
Feb?
GP nurse
to get stitches out
Ouch!
It hurt. It was over very quickly though. The stitches were very
tight. They were like thick wires which stuck out through my
t-shirts. They reminded me of the insect hairs coming out of Jeff
Goldblum’s back in The Fly. I think there might still be a tiny piece of a
stitch left in there (every flipping time) but I’m so glad to get rid of one
more bit of surgical gruesomeness – another tiny step towards getting back to
normal and getting my life back.
Mon 25
Feb
DXA scan
No
preparation required. I turned up at Guy’s Osteoporosis Clinic and got scanned
straight away. You can keep all your clothes on if there is no metal in
them, and the x-ray dose is so low, that the Radiographer can stay in the room
the whole time. The machine is open and makes no noise. They scan
your back and left hip. Coincidentally, I had a random pain in my left
hip today, and the thought that it might be a bone met kept running through my
head. I still remember what my reflexology teacher said, about 20 years
ago, that I would have a problem with my left hip. It just shows how
these prophesies of doom get stuck in the mind. Results are ready in two weeks.
Thu 28
Feb
Update on
life after stoma reversal
I’m
keeping a poo diary, as the colorectal people will want to know how things
progress, as do I. The idea is to monitor whether I visit the loo fewer
times each day as time goes on (this seems to be happening) and what effects
different foods have. At first, I seemed to be in pain all the time (a
cross between pain and the feeling that I urgently needed to poo) where my
rectum used to be, but now I rarely feel any pain. The worst symptom
lately is evil wind. Maybe I have to avoid things like onions in future –
at least on days when I’m around other people. The specialist colorectal
nurse told me to avoid fresh fruit and veg altogether for (I think) about four weeks,
but I’ve been ignoring that lately, and eating strawberries, nuts and other
things that were banned with the stoma, like celery, peppers, beans, onions
etc. and nothing bad has happened, except for the evil wind. It’s a big
relief to think I can start a proper ‘anti-cancer’ diet now, instead of being
forced to eat refined rubbish with the ileostomy.
The
reversal scar is healed and not especially sore, but the big bulge underneath
the stoma site is just the same and is pronounced enough to show through
clothes, my belly button is still slanted and the inguinal hernia (if that’s
what it is) is still there.
I’m so
glad I had the reversal done. It’s wonderful to be able to do a poo like
a normal person, and not have to constantly mess around with the damn bags or
to stink out the flat with a smell like drains (as R described it). It’s
also great not having to worry about the bag showing through clothes or falling
off. I feel a lot less repulsive.
It was pretty exhausting at first after the reversal – I went 19 times on the first day back from hospital, not to mention constantly feeling like I needed to go – but slowly it’s getting down to about 10 – 12 times a day, without the constant urge and pain in between. The worst part so far has been trying to hold in wind for an hour on the tube, for fear of antisocial smells or ‘accidents’. As Jack Nicholson said in ‘The Bucket List’, “Never trust a fart”. At this rate, I will end up with bum cheeks of steel.
Tue 12
Mar
Appointment
with J and HR
Urrrgh, I
hated having to see J again. She wanted me to come up to the M##, and run
the gauntlet, but I went to HR and called her and said I didn’t want to do
that. She took it ok, and came down with P, the HR woman who is dealing
with me. I basically hinted that I would like to try and get ‘ill-health
retirement’ so they are going to arrange an appointment for me with
Occupational Health to assess this. I told them about having ‘accidents’
and awaiting the CT result.
P said I should remind the benefits people when I have been on ESA for 13 weeks, because they might up my payments by £25 or £35 or something. Amazingly, next day, I got a letter from the benefits people saying it’s gone up by £50!
Wed
13 Mar
Mr G
clinic
Saw a
registrar (an Indian doctor) rather than Mr G. He wants me to take
Loperamide (Imodium) every day, but I told him I don’t like taking drugs.
I said if I took all the drugs the hospital have given me, I would have a
carrier bag full with me today, and he said he knew where I was coming from,
but still thought it would be good to slow down gut transit. I told him I
was being plagued by evil wind and that I had become socially
unacceptable. I said I was concerned that slowing my gut down might make
the wind worse. I asked him if he had any suggestions to deal with the
wind, but he didn’t. He prodded my abdomen a bit, and said he didn’t
think the groin bulge was a hernia, but just where the flesh has been pushed
down by the surgery. I asked for a referral to plastic surgery, but he can’t
do it because I don’t have my CT result yet (of course I don’t, so why didn’t
they time this appointment for after the CT!) He agreed that I could ask
Dr M to refer me on Thursday, or even my GP (but he didn’t seem to want me to
ask the GP). He said I would be seen again in three months.
Clinic
letter from Dr IS, registrar to Mr G:
13.03.13
I
reviewed this lady in Mr G’s clinic this afternoon. Since the operation
she is opening her bowel anywhere from three to four times in a day (I actually told him it was 9-10
times on average and could be up to 19 times). It is not diarrhoea it
is formed stools and she has not tried any medications. Her weight is
steady, she is waiting for a CT scan to be performed next week before seeing
the gynae oncologist.
On examination her abdomen was soft, the previous laparotomy as well ileostomy scar seemed to have healed nicely. There is no obvious palpable groin lymph adenopathy and the digital rectal examination showed anastomosis, admitting the finger and proctoscopy did not show any obvious abnormality and apart from some internal haemorrhoids.
Ms T seems to be a quite anxious lady given her past history of metastatic cancer. I have advised her to take Loperamide tablets to slow down her bowels but she does not want to try any medications as she believes that the medications are harmful, nevertheless I have recommended taking Loperamide tablet in order to reduce the frequency of bowels and she can increase the dose as required. She has reassured me that she would try them. Also she had some concerns on the anterior abdominal wall scars. She mentioned to me that Mr G previously suggested that he could refer her to plastic surgeons once it was established that she does not have recurrent malignancy. So I have suggested that we wait for the CT scan to rule out any evidence of recurrence. If that is normal in her next visit within three months time we will consider whether she needs a referral to the plastic surgeons.
Thu 14
Mar
CT scan
Same
procedure as usual – a jug of vile aniseed water to drink, a cannula in the arm
and an injection of dye while lying on the CT slab. The difference this
time was that I wanted to use the loo the whole time I was waiting. After
the scan was done and the cannula taken out, when I was getting my coat on,
blood gushed out of the vein. Another nurse cleaned it up and asked if I
was on a blood thinner (I’m not). I wonder if I’m short of vitamin K if
my gut isn’t working properly?
Thu 21
Mar
Dr M
clinic
My scan
result was fine! I was going to post the following update on Ovacome, but I
think I will hold off until I get my blood test result:
I went to find out the result of my three-month follow up scan today, and was overjoyed to find there is no visible disease. I was so relieved that I made a total idiot of myself and burst into tears in front of the poor consultant. I had been terrified of an early recurrence after the brutal and gloomy predictions of certain registrars and because during the five months that I had an ileostomy I couldn’t eat the healthy diet I would have liked (it was more pork pies and chocolate). Now I feel like I have a second chance and plan to ignore all but the most positive medical predictions and live on flaxseeds, organic fruit and veg and every anti-cancer supplement Holland and Barrett has to offer! The consultant says I won’t be getting any more routine scans, just a Ca125 check in three months time.
I had bloods done after seeing Dr M and she says not to worry if my Ca125 turns out to be raised because this can happen after surgery (the reversal was six weeks ago though ...) She says she will phone? me if it looks too high, but if not she will just report it in her clinic letter. She says next time I should get the blood test done two days before the clinic, so I can get the result when I see her, and not have to worry.
We looked
at my CT together and the lumpy area on my stomach is just skin, not muscle,
and there is no sign of a hernia. She was surprised I wanted more
surgery, and doesn’t know which plastic surgeon to refer me to, so she says she
will ask Mr G, then refer me.
Tue 9 Apr
St
Thomas’s A&E
I missed
the appointment with Prof R, as I had to go to A&E instead. The
previous day I started getting stomach pains which got progressively worse and
kept me awake all night. In the morning I phoned the GP surgery and got
to talk to Dr AC (I like the way he calls people ‘luv’ – very friendly and
Northern!). He said he would see me, so I walked to the surgery. He
listened to my gut and said there were faint bowel sounds, so he wasn’t worried
about it being an obstruction, even though I hadn’t had a poo since yesterday
morning – not even any wind! He said I could wait until 3.30pm, when he
would be back for his afternoon shift, and see if it got better in the meantime,
or he could call me an ambulance right now, to go to A&E. I agreed to
wait, but after another hour at home, I couldn’t take the pain and decided to
get a taxi to A&E. I waited there for five hours, punctuated by
having blood pressure taken and giving them a urine sample. While I was
waiting for a blood test, I suddenly got diarrhoea, and after two trips to the
toilet, I felt fine. They still did the blood test and took everything
seriously, given my history. I have to let M know what happened, for
the record. I have to ask Dr AC to re-refer me for the Menopause clinic
now -drat.
Occupational
Health appointment
Got off
to a good start with the OH lady, who was sympathetic and seemed to think I
deserved a break, but the OH medic was a bit more formal. I told him I
wanted ill-health retirement, and when he asked me what I knew about it, I
stupidly went on about how much extra NHS pension I would get (an extra six
years on top of the four I have) if I was deemed too ill for work. If I
am just deemed too ill to work in my present job, I would get the four years
but no extra. I sounded so mercenary. They said their job is to
collect medical information and I filled in a form to request a medical report
from the GP. I have 21 days to ask to see the report and request any
changes.
I got my
clinic letter from Mr G’s registrar, which says I have three or four poos a
day, but I told him it could be anything up to 19. I phoned Mr G’s
secretary and she said the registrar has now left, but she would get my notes
and ask Mr G to change the letter, to say that the average was 8–10, and it
could be up to 19.
Update,
June 2013: GP, Dr C put an addendum about the corrections in another letter,
and I sent the same info in a letter to Dr G at OH. Now the GPs are just
waiting for OH to pay them a £75 fee and they will send them the report.
I have to chase OH for an appointment two weeks after they get it. What a
palaver.
Tue 16
April
Big Pants
Last week
I had phoned M, the colorectal nurse, to ask advice about big pants for my trip
to Ireland They told me about three websites to order things from but two
didn’t exist and the other was no good, so I ordered some from Arelle.
They arrived and they’re like big baby nappies. I won’t be using them!
Plastic
surgery saga
I also
mentioned about wanting a plastic surgery referral. M said she would
email Mr G. Today, she called to say she had heard back from him and he
says to wait until my next follow up in June, so that’s that for now.
Fri 19
April
Toni and
Guy haircut
The
Manager, Charlie, cut it as she is the ‘Strength in Style’ person, trained to
work with chemo patients. The cut was ok – there wasn’t really much she
could have done with it, considering how short it is. It cost £54.
Got flustered when paying, and didn’t tip her or the shampoo/head massage girl.
Mon 20
May
GP
appointment
Saw Dr C
about various things, including re-referral to Prof R’s menopause clinic
(checked 17/6 – he hasn’t done it – have to chase him). He agreed to add
a paragraph to his OH medical report, to say that I had actually had my whole
rectum removed, not part of it, and that I have an average of nine bowel
movements a day, up to maximum of 18 times. Forgot to ask him if I could
get the left-over piece of stitch removed from my scar.
Thu 13
June
Over 40’s
health check
Got blood
taken at the GP surgery, by the Phlebotomist, and found out that I should have
fasted beforehand because it can skew the lipids result. She took the
blood anyway.
Tue 18
Jun
Bloods:
Ca125, full blood count, kidney and liver function.
More
blood taken, this time at STH, where they have moved the blood test department
to a temporary shed while building work goes on. As usual, there was
nothing requested on the system. After they called oncology and half an
hour of waiting around, it got put on the system. They said I should
phone oncology myself next time and make sure the request is on the system
before I come in. Threw up when I got home, probably because I’m so
terrified of hearing bad news on Thursday.
Thu 20
Jun
Dr M
Clinic
Saw Dr S
X-X, one of the registrars. She was very nice. She told me my Ca125
straight off: 10, which is down from 13 in March. I had forgotten that I
never got told the March result (Dr M had said she would only call me if it was
worrying). I’m really pleased because this means the trend is down, not
up. It was 9 in January, and I think the rise in March may have been
because of the reversal surgery in February. Anyway, it’s gone
down! I’m overjoyed by that.
I asked
Dr X the question OH had asked me to find out: ie does a 10% chance of survival
mean I have a 10% chance of being cured for good, or a 10% chance of surviving
for five years, and apparently it’s the latter. She said that recurrence
usually happens within two years. She said I shouldn’t focus on the
statistics though.
She asked
about bowel movement frequency, and suggested I talk to the colorectal nurse
specialist, as the surgeons don’t take much interest in what happens after the
surgery. I said my main problem was smelly wind and that the colorectal
registrar had no advice about that. I said they will only try to get me
to eat white bread and take Imodium, and that Imodium causes drowsiness, but Dr
X didn’t think it would (it says so on the side effects list) and that they
couldn’t help if I wouldn’t take advice. I said I would rather see what happens
naturally. She thought the colorectal nurse could refer me to a clinic
where they specialise in long-term bowel issues.
We also
had a chat about diet and exercise, and she said there is no evidence it makes
any difference, but she totally understood that I wanted to do everything I
could to help myself. I asked if she had read ‘Anticancer’ and she said
she knows David Servan-Schreiber’s son! Also, her sister is a Reiki
therapist and their dad says it’s the only thing that can fix his migraines
(and he’s a doctor). I said I am very sceptical about Reiki and she said
she is too.
When I
mentioned the shenanigans at the blood department, she assured me she would put
the request on the system now, ready for my September follow up.
Dr S P’s
clinic letter:
24.06.13
I am
pleased to be able to say that there was no evidence of recurrence of ovarian
cancer in clinic today. Ms Thomas’ Ca125 was 10 today and she is not
showing any signs of recurrent disease. She continues to be troubled by
disruption to her bowel function as a consequence of the reversal of her
ileostomy. She will be seeing Mr G’s team again to discuss this in the
near future.
Dr SP,
Specialist Registrar in Medical Oncology.
Fri 21
Jun
Statistical
angst
R came
over yesterday, to be supportive. I didn’t really feel like company
though and this morning, as he was going, I blubbed a bit about my paltry 10%
chance of survival, and how the women on Ovacome keep dying. It always
comes unexpectedly, as they appear to be so positive, then they go quiet for a
few weeks and suddenly their husband or relative is posting to say they’re
dead. R wondered why I even looked on there, and I said it’s nice to go
on there, where other people know how it feels. Statistically, I only
have five years at the most, and I might be feeling ill later on. I said
if there was a way of going on holiday for free, to India say, I would want to
do it while I still could, regardless of whether R can come with me or
not. I don’t want to just moulder away in Brixton, and waste my last bit
of money decorating the flat – for what? It’s not important. I’m
craving for animals and a garden. At least I have the time now to write
if I want to – I just have to get on and do it.
Over 40’s
health check result
The nurse
said it was OK that I hadn’t fasted, as it would only raise the result
slightly. My total cholesterol is too high: 5.8. In 2008 it was
5.6, then in 2009 it was down to 5.3, now it’s gone up again. She thinks
it must be because I haven’t done any exercise since the operations. The
only thing I can do is exercise more, as I’ve already cut out diary and red
meat almost entirely, since reading ‘Anticancer’. I still eat
butter, but I don’t know what to replace it with. The nurse suggests
Flora, but I don’t know if I’m convinced. Doesn’t it turn into trans-fat
when you heat it?? I’m still confused, no matter how much I read on
line. She said my HDL (good cholesterol) was quite high - enough to
protect me from heart disease. We filled in the questionnaire, and my
chance of dying from a heart attack in the next 10 years is 3% - which is
supposed to be good! This also includes strokes (both types?).
I wanted
to ask her to print out all the blood tests for me, but somehow I couldn’t ask,
as I felt I had already grilled her too much.
Wed 26
Jun
Mr G
clinic
I asked
to see Mr G himself, as I needed to ask for a plastics referral. He was
quite happy to do that, which was a relief, as I thought I might have to argue
my case. There was a young male student there, which was embarrassing
when I had to show my abdomen and groin to Mr G, and explain about my problem
with uncontrollable wind. Mr G scared me by saying that the plastics guy
might have to completely unzip me again, and that there would be a risk of
bowel injury – he said he might have to be there in case I needed another
bag! I said surely that must be a very small risk? In any case, I
will never sign a consent form for another bag. Mr G will request an MRI
for me, to see what is going on in the soft tissues.
Wed 17
Jul
MRI
pelvis
Took my
wax earplugs in preparation for the ‘road drill’ noise, and managed ok, after a
30 second panic attack at the beginning. It was a bit hard to hear the
radiographer’s voice through the headphones though. I think I was in the
scanner for about 20 minutes.
LW
Phoned L
back, as I missed his last two calls. He’s got liver cancer. He
says he has to stay alive until he can get a transplant. He isn’t keen on
a transplant - he would rather have the tumour removed and keep his own
liver. He found out just after the last time I saw him, about two months
ago. I said I will see him in ’heaven’ and he said ‘what makes you think
you’re going there?’ He said it hasn’t sunk in yet. He is having
chemoembolization, where they put a tube into his liver via the artery in his
groin and pump chemo directly into his liver.
Tue 30
Jul
Prof R’s
Menopause Clinic
It was at
the McNair Centre, at Guy’s, where JT works, but there was no sign of her this
time. I got to see a Registrar and I asked her about vaginal dryness and
osteopenia. She went off to confer with Prof R about whether I could use
vaginal oestrogen cream, and apparently I can because it is low dose and not
systemic, but I said I would be afraid to, as the vaginal vault is just the
area that the cancer would be likely to come back (there was still viable
tumour in the Pouch of Douglas, when Mr L did surgery). I said I thought
HRT was the reason I had got OC, but she thought that was unlikely to be the
cause. We had a long, inconclusive debate about whether my tumour was
oestrogen sensitive or not (she thought it would be in my notes, but it wasn’t
– how annoying). I asked if oestrogen sensitive was anything to do with
the BRCA anomaly, but her reply was totally confusing. I don’t think she
knew.
As I
wasn’t convinced re the oestrogen cream, she recommended Sylk lubricant (looked
on line later, and it seems to have better ingredients than Sensilube) and Balance
Activ Menopause Gel , which seems to have better ingredients than
Replens. Wonder if I could get them on prescription. I just worked
out that, after bills, I only have £84 a week to live on.
Mon 5 Aug
Mr R’s
clinic
The
clinic was in Gassiott House, at STH. Mr R had a student with him, a tall
Indian doctor. I had to suffer the embarrassment of peeling down my
knickers to show the student my lumpy stomach. Mr R guided him through
the diagnosis:
‘What
would you do?’
‘I would
use lipo here and here and here. The skin seems to be elastic enough.’
As soon
as I heard them talking about lipo, I felt I was being fobbed off. Mr G,
the colorectal surgeon, had spoken of me being unzipped and reassembled.
He had even warned about needing to be on hand himself, in case of potential
bowel damage, so what was this talk of lipo?
I told Mr
R that I didn’t think lipo was the answer, as my flesh is all pushed down and
off to one side (my belly button is nearly a centimetre over to the left) and
worst of all, my right groin is all puffy and lopsided. I told him my sex
life is non-existent now, because I don’t want R to see what it looks
like. He said if he operated, it could all drop down again
afterwards, and then he would have put me through an operation for nothing.
He said it was very difficult to move a belly button a short distance –
it would be a lot easier to move it a long distance. He said I shouldn’t
expect to have everything ‘perfect’ (as if I would!)
I
couldn’t help thinking of an episode of ‘Botched up bodies’ I saw recently,
where a guy who has lost a lot of weight has lipo on his belly, when really he
should have had a tummy tuck, and he has been left with an ugly flap of loose
skin.
I asked
why my groin area was all puffy and felt tender, and whether it could be
lymphoedema. He said it could be (if so, how could it be a good thing to
ram a lipo tube into it!) I asked him what the MRI had shown, and he said MRIs
don’t show much. I was incredulous, and all I could do was roll my eyes.
Why had I been given an MRI if it doesn’t help?
Finally,
he admitted that surgery would give a better result than lipo, but he said he
wanted to think about it. He said he would make an appointment for me to
come back in two months. I said, ‘Can’t we decide now, then at least I
could be on the waiting list to have something done.’ I pointed out that
I might only be around for a couple more years. He said I would be on the
waiting list while he was thinking about what to do.
I left
feeling so distracted, that I forgot to hand in my appointment request at
reception, and had to go in with it the next day.
Wed 4
Sept
GP
appointment
Saw Dr C
to find out if he has my MRI report and to ask his advice about
reconstruction. He didn’t have the report and said call back in a week
and he will chase it up. He didn’t seem to want to get involved at all,
which was disappointing because I really need some advice and
reassurance. I asked for a prescription for Balance Activ Menopause
Moisture Gel, but when I took the prescription to Superdrug it turned out he’d
prescribed the wrong one (he prescribed the one for BV) Tch.
Thu 19
Sept
Dr M
Clinic
Uh-oh, a
catastrophe - I pissed off Dr M! I asked to see her especially, because I
wanted her to interpret my MRI etc. I decided I would be calm and in
control, not like last time when I burst into tears with relief. I wanted
answers to four questions. As usual, she shook my hand when I arrived,
which is very nice, and asked how I was. I said I was very well, and for
a split second, I thought she looked a bit surprised or something. Then she
told me my Ca125 was 11 (up only 1), which was a huge relief. With my
first question answered, I launched straight into my question about the
inguinal swelling. She said the MRI was normal and showed no reason for the
swelling. There was no sign of cancer either, which was another huge
relief. I told her it had swelled up like a sort of water balloon twice
before (that was on 23rd August and 14th September) and
each time it lasted about three days. She had a look, but today it wasn’t
swollen, and you can’t see how lop-sided it is unless I take my knickers off
and lean forward. My stomach was looking particularly flat too, because I
lost a couple of pounds worrying about today’s result. I didn’t tell her
that though. When I asked if it could be lymphoedema, and wondered if
maybe I should be referred to the lymphoedema clinic, she said, “I think it’s
just in your head! I’ve got people dying here!” and “You don’t seem happy with
the Ca125 result, you just seem to want to find things to complain
about!” Stunned, I countered with, “I am happy with the result! I’m
incredibly relieved!” then mumbled, “Quality of life is important too.” I
said next time my groin swelled up I would take a photograph and she said to do
that. I said it had ruined my sex life and she said, “You have a lovely
partner, I’m sure he doesn’t mind what it looks like.” I agreed, but said I had
to feel good about myself too, in order to enjoy sex. It was like she was
saying I didn’t deserve to be in remission or have a ‘lovely’ partner!
I managed
to battle on to my last question, which was: ‘When people speak about five-year
survival rates, do they mean I have a 10% chance of being alive in five years,
or do they mean I have a 10% chance of not having a recurrence for five years?’
and she said the latter! She said I actually had a 10 – 20% chance (it’s
gone up!). She agreed that if you get to five years without a recurrence,
you can almost consider it a cure (though there is still a small chance it
could come back). She said it usually comes back within two years, and
not to get too excited, as I had only made it to 10 months so far.
She kept her professional cool and shook my hand again as I left, which was a relief, but I felt devastated by the whole interaction. It blighted all the good feeling I should have had about the result and by the time I got home I was so depressed.
Mon 23
Sept
GP
appointment
Dr C had
ordered my MRI report, which I picked up from reception. He couldn’t find
the right gel on line, and I now realise I got it mixed up (oops) as the person
on Ovacome said she gets Sylk on prescription, not Balance Activ.
Mon 30
Sept
Mr R
Clinic
Mr R
wasn’t there! I had to see a registrar. She seemed intelligent and
helpful (although did I detect an underlying smirk?) but she can’t sign me up
for anything or decide anything without Mr R. Fracking Mr R. I left
two photos with the reg, that I brought with me, and she said she would discuss
them with her colleagues and leave them in my notes. She said it was
difficult and she wasn’t really sure what could be done to put my belly button
right. When I described the intermittent swelling, she said it could be a
seroma, which is like a space that fills up with fluid, then empties. It
can come and go, or it can seal itself up.
I had to
make another appointment for Monday 4th November (five fracking
weeks away!) The reg said to phone on the day of the appointment, to
check that Mr R is there. Are they toying with me? Perhaps he’s torturing
me because I rolled my eyes at the last appointment. I’m trying to forget
about it but it’s very frustrating. What if he doesn’t bother turning up
next time too? (Stop doing ‘what ifs’!!)
Got home
to Dr M’s letter, which I wasn’t looking forward to:
Dr M’s
Clinic letter:
24.09.13
Mrs T is
now 10 months post end of treatment. She remains well in herself.
Her main issues are certain rectal urgency to defecate after her ileostomy
reversal. She is very concerned about the appearance of her abdominal
scar and refers swelling in the right inguinal region. I noticed that she
had a pelvic MRI organised by Mr G, which is entirely normal and has not shown
any abnormailities in that area.
In fact
on examination today I could not feel any abnormality or swelling in the
abdomen or inguinal area.
Her
performance status is 0 and her examination is correct. Her Ca125 is
normal at 11. We are planning to review her again in clinic in three
months with a new Ca125.
Grrrr!
I told her that the scar itself doesn’t bother me – it’s the
lopsidedness and the bulge, and I told her that the swelling comes and
goes and that there was nothing to see that day!
Clinic
letter from Mr R’s Registrar:
30.09.13
This lady
has some abdominal asymmetry following her laparotomy for ovarian cancer, for
which she required a temporary ileostomy. She was seen by Mr R in August,
at which time we noticed a bulge on the right part of the abdomen and twisting
of the umbilicus, which she is keen to get sorted. Mr R has discussed liposuction
and excising and revising part of the scar.
Fri 18
Oct
Occupational
Health appointment
Saw Dr
G. I told him that I still wanted to apply for ill health retirement and
it seems that they want that too. He was more concerned that I might feel
forced out! I told him that work is exhausting for me, because it’s hard
work being around people all day. I also told him I was trying to write
stuff and he was very sweet and said he would like to read something I
wrote. I said the autobiography was too personal, but that if I can
finish my novel, I wouldn’t mind anyone reading that. I think he felt
sorry for me because I have cancer. Ugh.
He is
going to inform HR and J by email, and then there is some kind of form they
have to fill in, and then I have to meet with them again. Double ugh!
Mon 28
Oct
Swollen
groin
Right
pubic area swelled up again yesterday, for the third time. I was hoping
it would never happen again, but at least it happened before I see the plastic
surgeon, and I can show him a photo. It was even more swollen
today. Took more photos. Felt grumpy and ugly all day,
unfortunately for R. I showed him the swelling, so he could vouch for me
if he comes to my next plastics appointment. He said it was a definite
swelling, that he would be worried if it was him, and that something should be
done about it.
Tue 29
Oct
Groin
still swollen. It went down a bit over night, but then swelled up
again. It’s pissing me off. I know I should be grateful that I’m
alive, blah blah blah, but I would really like to be alive and not look
gross. I thought about going to the GP emergency clinic, so the GP could
see it isn’t all in my imagination, as Dr M thinks, but in the end I couldn’t
face the humiliation of going there and flashing my fanny.
Mon 4 Nov
Mr R
Clinic
I got R
to come along with me, to prevent another catastrophe like the last Dr M
Clinic, where she said the inguinal swelling was all in my head, thus implying
that I was either lying or delusional, and at the very least an ingrate and a
time-waster.
First I had to see a registrar, and I showed him a naked photo (so humiliating!) of the swelling from last week, when it was at its height. Then he had to go and ambush Mr R and drag him in for a brief audience. It was quite hard to summarise everything I’d just told the registrar in the few minutes with Mr R, in fact, I forgot to ask him if he still thought surgery was an option, and the registrar had to disappear again for ages to ambush him again.
The
outcome was that we would just do liposuction on the bulgy bits, and if that
didn’t turn out well, surgery on the scar could be considered. They said
I would get a TCI date, but when I got the appointment letter printed out at
reception, it appears to just be another clinic appointment, for 6th
January. They also said I would be referred to Mr G, to try to discover
what was causing the swelling, so that he could operate on the same day as Mr
R, if necessary. They said I would get an appointment from Mr G before
the TCI for liposuction, and Mr G might do another scan (don’t know what
kind). Sigh. Will this ever get sorted out?
Sat 16
Nov
The typo
scare
Got my
clinic letter from Mr R’s registrar today, and was horrified to read the
phrase, ‘... she had an MRI in July 2013, which showed recurrence of her
disease.’ After my head stopped spinning, however, it occurred to me that
this must be a mistake, or why wouldn’t Dr M have told me. Then I
remembered I have a copy of the MRI report, and it says there is no evidence of
any disease. But still, I couldn’t help worrying: could someone else,
maybe from plastics, have reassessed the MRI since then?
I phoned Mr R’s secretary first thing on Monday morning, and was incredibly relieved to hear that it was a typo. She is going to forward another letter – the referral to Mr G, which I didn’t get – which says, ‘... no recurrence ...’ I’m so angry at the sloppy typist.
Mr R
clinic letter:
8 Nov
2013
It was a
pleasure to see (me) in clinic today. She has previously had a laparotomy
for ovarian carcinoma in September 2012 and had a reversal ileostomy in
February 2013. Most recently she had an MRI in July 2013, which showed
recurrence of her disease.
She now
comes to us complaining of a right periumbilical bulge and deviation of the
umbilicus. In addition, she has noticed increased swelling in the right
inguinal region, which has become worse over the last few weeks/months and
which is intermittent.
On examination of the abdomen, she has some fullness to the right of the umbilicus as well as some tethering of her umbilical scar. I was unable to elicit any hernia and this seems to be soft tissue swelling only. On examination of the right inguinal region, there was no bulging noted at the time of examination and no obvious hernia formation.
After
discussion with Mr R, we have decided the best course of action for (me) with
regards to the abdomen, is to proceed with liposuction only to see if this
improves the appearance of the abdomen and to leave the scar revision as a
possible secondary procedure should this not work. In addition, I will be
referring her to Mr G, consultant surgeon to ask him to review the swelling
that (I) has been experiencing in the right inguinal region.
Mr RD
Microfellow
in Plastic Surgery
Referral
to Mr G
8 Nov
2013
Thank you
for agreeing to review ## for us. I believe she is well known to you
having previously had a laparotomy for ovarian carcinoma in September 2012 and
then reversal of ileostomy in February 2013. She has most recently had an
MRI in July 2013, which showed no recurrence of her disease.
In the
course of her follow up with us today, she complained of some swelling in the
right inguinal region, which she says has been getting worse over the last few
weeks/months. She tells me that she first noticed some discomfort in the
right inguinal region after her initial surgery in September 2012 but this
never bothered her in the past. Following the reversal of her ileostomy
however, she says that she noticed the swelling became worse and it now feels
as though there is a “bag of fluid there” at times. She also tells me
that this swelling is episodic and that at times will be completely flat.
On
examination with Mr R today, there was no swelling noted over the right
inguinal region and no obvious hernia formation clinically.
This problem
is causing ## considerable distress and is impacting on her sexual well
being. We would be most grateful if you review her with an eye to
possible further investigation and /or management.
Mr RD
Microfellow
in Plastic Surgery
Wed 4 Dec
Swollen
groin
Noticed
my groin is swollen again today. It feels strange/tender at the top of my
thigh too. Maybe the common denominator is that I’ve been sitting at the
computer for several days and haven’t done any exercise. Someone on
Ovacome kept getting a swollen groin before her recurrence.
These are
the dates it has swollen up:
23/8
14/9
28/10
4/12
15/12
23/12
25/12
Intervals
between are therefore: 22 days, 44 days and 38 days and more or less continuous
in December.
Summary
of Ca 125 scores
24.4.12 =
185
24.5.12 =
403 (after biopsy)
28.6.12 =
145 (after 1st chemo)
19.7.12 =
57 (after 2nd chemo)
After
third chemo = 40
Dec12 =
10
09.01.13
= 9
21.03.13
= 13 (No clinic letter. Raised because of ileostomy reversal)
20.06.13
= 10
17.09.13
= 11
19.12.13
= 11
Tue 17
Dec
STH to
get bloods done. They’ve got a shiny new blood test department, in South
Wing. The nurse was amazingly efficient, and no waiting around like all
the other times.
Thu 19
Dec
Dr M’s
clinic, Guys
Saw Dr K,
Clinical Fellow. My Ca125 was 11, which is the same as last time –
yippee! I’m not dying yet! At first I was depressed because I
thought it had gone up from 10 (and would continue to creep up each time, until
I got a recurrence) but we checked on the computer and it was 11 last time, so
it hasn’t gone up. Then she briefly prodded my stomach. When she
prodded my right groin, which was covered by my knickers, I said, “That’s
swollen,” and tensed up, hoping that she would enquire into why it was swollen,
but she just moved onto another area, without asking. She tried to make
small talk with me, but I felt strangely remote and couldn’t engage with
it. I couldn’t wait to get out of there and go home. She must have
thought me a miserable cow. After the result sank in, I blubbed for a
second with relief. I said I get so stressed waiting for results and that
sometimes I think I would rather not go through this every three months.
She replied that it’s best to know, and I agree really.
Dr K’s
clinic letter:
20.12.13
Ms T is
now 13 months post end of treatment. She remains well in herself.
Her main issues are that of bowel disturbances after her ileostomy
reversal. On examination today she appeared well and there were no signs
to suggest disease recurrence. She had an MRI a few months back which was
normal. Her Ca125 from 17th December is normal at 11. We
are planning to review her back in clinic in 3 months time with repeat bloods.
No comments:
Post a Comment